Type of Weed:
You Like It?
Chemdawg (a.k.a. Chem Dawg or Chem Dog) contains genetics of an unknown origin. This type of weed is named for the person who, as rumor has it, found a few marijuana seeds in a bag of weed appropriated at a Grateful Dead concert. Legend tells of this Chekdawg grower taking the seed bask to the eastern US and growing it into the vastly popular strain that now bears his name. Its genetic material has been used to create many subordinate strains as a result of its excellent characteristics as a medical grade marijuana. We may never know who the parent plants were, but we do certainly know that this strain is a true champion of the people, providing medicinal relief for millions over the years. Here’s the full story about the origin and making of this strain, which can only be found as clones, no seeds are available for it:
The history of Chemdog lines
By High and Lonesome.
At a Grateful Dead show at Deer Creek Amphitheatre, ‘joebrand’ (aka ‘wonkanobe’) and ‘pbud’ met ‘chemdog’ and sold him an ounce of very high quality pot for $500.
Joe and chemdog exchanged numbers and they later arranged for two ounces to be shipped to chemdog on the east coast.
According to chemdog, one ounce was seedless and the other had 13 seeds. Here began the Chemdog lineage and from there many of the highest regarded clones in the USA.
In ’91, chemdog popped the first 4 seeds. From these seeds, one male was found and disposed of (chemdog was young, you can’t blame him). The 3 females were labeled ‘chemdawg’ (now ’91 chemdawg), ‘chemdawg a’ (now chemdawg’s sister), and ‘chemdawg b’.
In ’01, chemdog and his girlfriend attempted to germ 3 more seeds, labeled c’, ‘d’, and ‘e’. the ‘e’ seed never germinated, ‘c’ turned out to be junk (according to chemdog), and chemdawg ‘d’ was the keeper. In 06, ‘chemdog’ and ‘joebrand’ reunited and joe was given 4 of the last 6 beans: Chemdawg phenos 1-4, ’4′ being the chosen keeper. Joe thought the ’4′ was the best representation of the original and thus dubbed it the ‘reunion pheno’.
Chemdog still has two seeds left in his stash.
The Chemdawg Crosses
• ‘OG Kush‘ (the original cut) came from an s1 from in a bag of ’91 Chemdawg in the Lake Tahoe area in 1996.
• ‘Sour Diesel‘ aka ECSD came from an accidental cross of (’91 Chemdawg x Mass Super Skunk/NL)x DNL after the DNL hermed and seeded the room. The DNL’s lineage is NL/Shiva x Hawaiian.
• Original Diesel’ (also known as Diesel #1, Headband, Daywrecker Diesel, Underdawg) came from a cross of ’91 Chemdawg x (Mass Super Skunk x Sensi’s Northern Lights) done by a guy known as ‘weasel’.
• ‘chemdog’ and friends made several crosses that are held closely by a small group of friends and acquaintances. Among them are:
1. Super Snowdawg (Bubble Chem x [Super skunk x Oregon Sno])
2. Giesel (Chem D x Mass Super Skunk)
3. Bubble Chem (Chemdawg’s Sister x Sag’s Bubbleberry)
4. Dawg Daze aka ChemHaze (Chem D x ’93 Sensi’s NL#5/Haze)
5. Chemdawg D x Pbud (another old-school Colorado strain)
JJ-NYC has been working on a Chemdawg D-based seed line for several years now. He started by crossing Chemdawg D to Sensi’s Afghani after thoroughly testing both Sensi’s Afghani and Sensi’s Hindu Kush to determine which was more stable and would be better for the initial cross.
JJ then did a backcross, known as “Double Dawg.” Several phenos of this circulate and several people still have beans. JJ’s latest work to the line is a second backcross known as ”Tres Dawg” which is just starting to get tested.
Rezdog of Reservoir Seeds recently released several Chemdawg crosses as part of his ‘Trinity’ charity auctions. The crosses included Chemdawg D x Sensi’s Hindu Kush and Snowdawg x Sensi’s Hindu Kush, Chemdawg D x Sour Diesel IBL, Snowdawg x Sour Diesel IBL, ChemHaze x Sour Diesel IBL and Giesel x Sour Diesel IBL.